KIV Community

RANT - Parent Volunteers - Where are U?

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

RANT - Parent Volunteers - Where are U?

Postby turtle on Tue May 19, 2015 4:13 pm

It seems that more and more that it's the same group of people doing all the volunteer stuff at our children's activities (and that group is getting smaller and smaller as we get burnt out).

Is everyone else really too busy to help?????
turtle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: RANT - Parent Volunteers - Where are U?

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue May 19, 2015 4:30 pm

So tough. It's hard when a school assumes there ARE parents that can volunteer - assuming there is a stay-at-home parent or each parent has the flexibility to take time off work to help a little here and there at the school.

So of course it's the same parents are the volunteers - its the select-few families that HAVE a stay-at-home or flexible-work parent.

Is the lack of volunteers making your school cancel things?

A big issue is the cost of school buses - if they were of a more-reasonable cost to the school, there wouldn't BE the need for parent drivers, etc. I suppose its school district-dependant, but our school has a ridiculously low school bus budget so class-specific outings require parent drivers.
Last edited by Vaccin8tor on Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Tue May 19, 2015 8:59 pm

I helped out with my oldest and brought the younger sibling but when my middle was in school it was always NO SIBLINGS and since I had no one to take the younger sibling I could not help. Now I work full time 12 hour shifts. I do try to help if I am off but it doesn't always work out. I really appreciate the parents who have the time to do it and I can well imagine it is exhausting to be the ones doing it all the time. Not sure what the answer is.
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Wed May 20, 2015 6:10 pm

It can be a challenge for parents to volunteer and certainly, people working full-time during the day cannot (or often cannot) get time off during the day to volunteer at their child's school. There are however, often things that need to be done on a flexible schedule (such as preparing prizes for a fun fair; cutting paper cut-outs, participating at a bottle drive (or other such service) on a weekend.
There are always some people who do not participate and those who go above and beyond. Any and every little bit helps, and is appreciated.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby onceinvic on Thu May 21, 2015 11:05 am

I work a 60-80 hour week, and at certain times of the year I travel frequently; my husband does shift work. We help out at the school and at our children's sports as much as we can, but it is not as much as what others do.

The flip side... I (and my husband) have experienced judgmental comments and unfriendliness from the "usual volunteers" group. There can be a very cliquey mentality among those who volunteer regularly with the same school or organization, and they (consciously or unconsciously) exclude new people. It really makes me reluctant now to give up my limited spare time to be ignored or excluded when i am trying to help out with something that my kids are involved in.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby turtle on Thu May 21, 2015 11:21 am

What if I rephrased the question.

How many of you think of extra-curricular activities (such as baseball, soccer, etc.) as free child-minding and are more than happy to do what I call "drive by dumping" of your children, not even bothering to get out of the car and see if any of the volunteers needs some help?
turtle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am

I've certainly experienced the cliques and although it is not pleasant (feels like a review of some aspects of long ago high school) I am not volunteering in order to socialize but to contribute to my child's school or extra-curricular activities.
For parents who work long hours, volunteering when you can also lets your child(ren) know that you are participating and supporting their activities and education. As well, taking home a small "project" (paper cutting for example) or helping re-shelve the school's library books for 10 minutes while waiting to pick up your child (not many cliques in the library and it's generally quiet) are ways of avoiding the unpleasant comments.
OP: Your clarification brings the topic to a different light: Perhaps the school or organization that is in charge of the activity needs to have clear and definitive guidelines about arrival and pick-up (sign in and sign out by the guardian/parent) at the very least. Without this, it can be unsafe as the facilitators do not know if a child has arrived or been picked up by their guardian. As well, it's a matter of respect and courtesy to the school/organization and your child, to accompany them to the physical place of their activity.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby onceinvic on Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Thu May 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Before I worked I volunteered a lot. Now that I work it's hard to take time off on such short notice. I need more then a few days to request time off. I also found it hard if not impossible to deal with the other volunteers who aren't happy with what I can do for support of activities and class things. It's wonderful if others can volunteer for every single thing but not everyone can. Not everyone is that lucky but those that can shouldn't judge those that can't or don't.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby beany on Sat May 23, 2015 9:44 pm

I am one that does not volunteer any more. I am tired, I am busy and often running close to empty after working full time plus ,with a demanding job working with people that are ill or just in need of assistance, besides my own shift of 37.5 hr per week I am on different committees at work and take extra courses when offered. I am on my third child in the public school system in a span of 37 yrs, they have been spaced so far apart as I am soon finishing one another starts, then I had a little gap before a grandchild I am raising started school and it began again, oh did I miss that he has sp needs and I worked 3 to 11 pm so I could take him to his 3-4 appointments a week before work, as he has gotten older and into middle school it has slowed down to only a couple a month but I am tired. I am on the strata council, have 2 other grandchildren I want to spend time with and do things with. I am sure many think I am retired and have lot's of time to drive students or help in the classroom or at the fun fair etc but that is not so. I think it has always been this way, for the first two boys I was the parent that was always there, helping , driving, getting donations, etc and there were only a few of us then .I decided then if I wanted to help I had to do so without judging those that don't. It is no different in the work place so my training when the children were young helps me now as I am on committees etc accept the extra stuff is not for all
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun May 24, 2015 1:06 pm

I leave the house at 7am and return home at 6pm. It is odd that volunteer groups assume that parents (or mothers) don't work and schedule all the activities for after school. My kids can't even go to anything or participate in sports because of the hours always being 3-5pm M-F.

I do volunteer but it is evening and weekends for a non-profit society for special needs children that can fit around my schedule and I can do from home.
Last edited by TazDevil on Mon May 25, 2015 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sun May 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Jinxx on Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

I volunteer when possible. My kids play a lot of sports. I also work full time (40 hours a week) and am a single parent. We volunteer for church events.

Have been really blessed by those that do vounteer and take on the extras items (bake cupcakes, organize fundraisers) Most coaches, sports, concession, school events are done by helpers and volunteers and we try and praise those people, without them these activities would fall apart.
Jinxx
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LJ's Mom on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 pm

OP I get your frustrations but its been going on forever. I was avid into sports and activities outside of school as a kid and it was always the same parents that would help out and then the parents that didn't do anything but drop their kids off would (more often than not) be the one's to find something to complain about.

I for one do not put my own kids into activities unless I am able to put the time in where needed to support my child and the association or team that we are apart of. I agree that these sports and activities are not babysitting services. On the other hand I do know how busy life can get and sometimes families are not able to put in extra time for every event or occasion but there should be an expectation of some sort of involvement when you sign kids up. But thats just my opinion.
LJ's Mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Rants & Raves