KIV Community

Differences in parenting styles

Discuss sex & relationships - the good, the bad, and even the embarrassing & confusing.

NOTE: This forum contains content intended for adult viewers. Topics and posts are sexual in nature, and inappropriate for young viewers.

Moderators: Brenda N, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Differences in parenting styles

Postby nemp on Fri May 29, 2015 10:19 am

I'm really frustrated and am looking for other options I may not have considered.

My husband is a loving father. But there's a couple of things he does that drives me crazy e.g. giving the kids cookies before dinner, having them watch a short movie at 9 p.m. on a school night (in lieu of reading them a book), getting the kids to bed really late even though the kids are already sleep deprived!

He is not good about me telling him what to do and although he has heard my requests, he is refusing to go by my parenting style which he feels is too controlling.

Any suggestions? I am okay with him not following my way of parenting but when it's obviously affecting the kids' diet (they are too full to eat dinner) and they are chronically sleep deprived, I am very frustrated! To add to this, the kids love him because he is so easy going and he offers all these fun things for them and I'm the one who ends up often saying no. :(
nemp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Differences in parenting styles

Postby kattnipp on Sat May 30, 2015 6:34 am

Have you tried letting him deal with them in the morning? If need be tell him he needs to be up earlier to get them ready for the day. I would also suggest having some veggies or fruit ready to go when he wants to give them something to eat. If you don't buy cookies they can't be a temptation. Is it possible to compromise and let one movie or short show a week but making sure it is started earlier? Good luck.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby TazDevil on Sat May 30, 2015 8:46 am

Have you thought about taking about/making it about what is best for the children's health? Also figure out what his motivation is for doing it? Is he doing it because he knows it bugs you, or is he just not aware how close dinner is or does he just want to make the kids happy at any cost?

A cookie won't spoil dinner for the average child so it must be more than just that. Figure out his motivation and whether it is annoying you because of what you think should be done, or because the kids are really having their health affected. If it is really health then explain that as the reason.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby nemp on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for your thougths. I think it's about making things fun for the kids as he sees me as being too strict.

I've talked endlessly about this and ultimately I think I just need to be more flexible. While they may be sleep deprived and eating too late etc., from a broader perspective - they are healthy happy children.

I'm going to be the one who's going to change on this one.
nemp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Sex & Relationships