KIV Community

Scammers using My Number for their Call Display?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Scammers using My Number for their Call Display?

Postby TazDevil on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:03 pm

How does one go about reporting phone scammers using MY number on other people's call display?

I have had people call my cell back asking why I called them (I hadn't) and tonight I received a phone call on my home phone where the number on the call display for where the call was coming from was MY HOME NUMBER. :shock: I actually pressed 1 to speak to the attendant (about improving my credit card interest) and reamed him out for stealing my number but it is driving me nuts.

So I am wondering how is that done, stealing call display information? Where is that info stored? Did they hack Shaw's phone servers?

If that data is not accurate then how useful is it?
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Scammers using My Number for their Call Display?

Postby 2roses on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Yesterday I got a call from someone insisting I had just called them (and I know I didn't). She said my number was on her call display, she just pressed dial on the number so it wasn't a typo in her dialing to get me...

It's got nothing to do with the Shaw servers I don't think cause my home and cell phones are both with Telus, plus both my numbers are unlisted so they must be using random numbers to jig their calling identity. Scammers continue to find new ways to annoy people. :x
2roses
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shanny on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:02 am

That happened to me too...my own home number calling my own house! Even showed my name. We're with Telus.
Not impressed! (Not because of Telus but because this can happen)
Shanny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:04 pm

So they must be compromising the call display servers somehow. I wonder how? If hackers can just use anyone else's call display then what is the point of even having it? The police track calls by number so what if they use your number for a crime? It is scary indeed that these can be compromised.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby barb on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:05 pm

This happened to me and my dad...he's telus and i'm shaw
barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby missingmind on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm with Telus and I also got a call - last Wed., July 8th. My own number showed up on the call display.

I think I'll phone Telus tomorrow and see what they say.
missingmind
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby elliemay on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 am

I to got a call from a local number. Worrisome if the call display shows a real business like B C Hydro...

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/06/ca ... e-stopped/
elliemay
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent