KIV Community

Best school for ADHD/Autism???

A place to ask questions and share information on anything relating to
educating our children (and ourselves!).

Moderators: Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Best school for ADHD/Autism???

Postby Popcorn55555 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:01 pm

We will be moving to the area soon, and need to find the best school for our Gr. 4 son with Autism and ADHD. Any recommendations? We have not bought yet, so the school could be located anywhere in Victoria. Not sure we could afford a private school, so we are hoping a public or catholic school is possible. Alternatively, if there are any schools we should avoid, we would love to know that too. Thank you!
Popcorn55555
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Best school for ADHD/Autism???

Postby jwilson on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:11 am

I've heard great things about Elizabeth Buckley. It's private but at $460/month, more affordable than most. They also have bursaries to apply for. My boys went to one of their summer camps in July and it was great.
jwilson
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:24 pm

View Royal Elementary (SD61) is one Public one I would recommend. If you are looking at paying for independent then check out Discovery School or Elizabeth Buckley. Catholic schools in BC are private schools.

It really also depends how they do academically? The few Autistic children I know are excelling in a regular program so they just need emotional support where as others may need academic support at well.

Is your child officially designated for BC? That will be important to get an aide and support.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby barb on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:25 pm

barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby edcuator on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:46 pm

As a former school principal and someone who worked with primary children and special needs students for many many years, I will begin by stating that I am a real advocate for our public school system.

With that disclosure, I would suggest you inquire with several different schools. A mid-sized school is often a good choice. The program that is offered for students with autism really depends upon your child, their needs and how the school is structured. Sometimes your best bet is to find a school that has several other students so their needs can be piggy backed.

Someone asked about the designation. It is really important that you confirm the designation with Special Education ASAP. (The board offices should be open in the next week and they can direct your call to the correct people.) Each district must confirm a designation themselves to ensure they do not lose individual funding in the event of an audit.

As to the public/independent question. I always read recommendations with caution. Each child is an individual with specific needs. Some of the schools that I see others recommending have success with some students but I have also had students transfer into my school and/or classroom for each of the independent schools that are named in these discussions. On every occasion the parent said they received everything or more in the public school that they received in the independent school.

Some of the best special ed programs (and in some cases schools) in the District are in the schools that many would choose not to register their child. Public perception is not always reality.

I would use the special ed department as a good source of information as to a school that might work for your child.
edcuator
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:24 pm

There is a difference/distinction between independent schools and private schools. The website below discusses the distinctions:

http://www.ourkids.net/school/private-v ... chools.php
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby syke930 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:09 am

If they have an autism diagnosis the school gets up to $16,000 to help support them with an EA. ADHD does not come with much if any funding at the moment. My son (adhd/autism) is at quadra and that has been an amazing inclusive friendly environment for him. We moved out of that catchment last year and are still driving him there because we love it :)
syke930
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Aladora on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Education & Learning