KIV Community

Home Alone at 8 1/2 for 2 hours slaps Mom with Ministry orde

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Home Alone at 8 1/2 for 2 hours slaps Mom with Ministry orde

Postby TazDevil on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Wow. There is no law but apparently there is according to the Ministry.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video ... tPageNum=1
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Home Alone at 8 1/2 for 2 hours slaps Mom with Ministry

Postby debbiel on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:13 am

How ridiculous. It was pretty normal to be left alone for a couple hours at that age when I was younger. I was easily able to handle it. Sheesh.
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:10 am

I really think it depends on the kid. I have a 9 almost 10 year old that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving alone for any length of time but that doesn't mean no 9 year old should be left alone. I have no issues with an 8 or 9 year old in general coming home from school and being alone for a couple of hours. Its not like the mom is going out at night and leaving him alone. I don't know how a judge can say it isn't allowed when there are no laws stating that its illegal.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ivy-Girl on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 pm

It seems odd to me and a bit over the top to slap an order on her right away for something like this. You would think that they would note it in a complaint file and if she kept doing it then maybe put an order in place. Start out a bit lower key and escalate it if necessary.
Like Benjorsam said...there isn't a legislated age so it seems a bit heavy handed unless there is more to the story.
I also think it depends on the kid, the time of day and the circumstances. This seems sort on the minor end of the scale for such extreme measure. :-k
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Vaccin8tor on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:32 pm

8 is too young in my mind, whether male or female, 'mature' or 'responsible' enough irregardless. But that's *me* and my kids.

The swimming pool example is not valid since there are qualified lifeguards on duty, mind you there is no one watching the over-7-year olds in the change rooms or non-swimming pool areas.

Honestly, it would be easier if there *was* a law in regards to this issue. Say '10 years old' and anyone wanting to leave a younger child alone would need to ask for permission/try their luck.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby muminvic on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I know I was left alone often when I was that age. I once even left with my newborn sister while my mother ran to the store!

I think it depends on the child though. When the time comes for me to leave my son home alone, we will go over the safety rules, what he is and is not allowed to do and then do a few practice runs. I don't think my son will be ready at 8 though.
Eats on Feets: Connecting Babies and Breast Milk
From informal to informed -- Eats On Feets, the leading resource for community based breastmilk sharing. Eats On Feets is a world-wide network for those who have made the informed choice to share breastmilk.

https://www.facebook.com/eatsonfeetsvancouverisland
muminvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:46 pm

My 8 year old is the one to remind my almost 12 year old to lock the door or not forget it is time to go to school. I actually had him stay with her before and after school because he is the one who is great with routine.

That being said I would not leave him home alone, simply for this reason. I wouldn't want to get in trouble.

If they are too young to stay home alone with a phone and a locked door for 2 hours after school with neighbors they can go to at 8 then they are also too young to ride their bikes alone, walk home alone from school where they are at FAR higher risk of harm, play in the playground unsupervised, be at school before they have supervision on duty or after school, or be responsible for supervising other children at lunch time at school. My 8 year old (Grade 4) was responsible for the emergency routine of managing 22 kindies during a fire or lockdown, or emergency for an hour a day. Yes there was 1 adult supervisor for 6 classrooms but if an emergency happened that adult couldn't be 6 places at once. A child at home who has a neighbour emergency contact is far safer than a child in a class supervising 22 others.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mouse05 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:53 am

Interesting. I will keep watching this as I have children only slightly older and they are home alone and I struggled with making this choice. Ultimately my sense of comfort was that here are two of them together and only for one hour and not every day. I agree with previous poster that the walk to and from school poses a greater risk (especially as so many of our communities lack proper sidewalks ). Mine get dropped off at home and then have chores and hw to do. When they are done they can watch 1/2 hr tv. They are usually just tuning in when I get home. Has been working very well for us. Kids feel pride and sense of self reliance and I'm not running around picking them up. We have some rules (no Internet ) and have discussed emergency procedures and contacts. 8 1/2 alone does seem young and 2 hours every day seems long - I don't think they are at greater risk just a greater potential for boredom and mischief. My elder child likely would have been fine on her own at this age but I still don't know if I would have done it.
mouse05
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent