KIV Community

Scout Popcorn question?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Scout Popcorn question?

Postby TazDevil on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:23 am

My daughter was in Girl Guides and getting people to spend 5$ on Cookies was not an easy sell door to door.

However now my son is in Scouts and the popcorn sales are so much more expensive and I am not even sure how to start?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the best flavours? When one can buy a case at Walmart for 1/4 of the price it is a hard sell unless there is something special about Scouts popcorn the stores don't have. That was the one benefit of GG cookies, they were expensive but you couldn't get them in stores.

For those that have eaten it or sold it, any ideas? Thx
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Scout Popcorn question?

Postby Benjorsam on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:24 pm

We've stopped selling it for that reason. I can't tell you how many doors we've had slammed in our faces with people lecturing us about either the cost or the junk food aspect of it. Now we just ask friends or family and buy a little bit ourselves. Its sad though because this is what keeps the cost of programs and camps down. Everybody has their favourites. I love the cheese ones and we always buy the air popped and microwave stuff. But my kids love the chocolate stuff. I think the popcorn is good, better than the stuff you buy at the stores but people don't care about that. And part of the other problem is that when you buy girl guide cookies you get them right away. With the popcorn, you have to get strangers to hand you over money before they get the product which many people don't like. I know a lot of people who take the forms to their work place and it practically sells itself. When we lived in Ottawa, one of the mothers of a cub worked in an MP's office and he literally bought thousands of dollars worth of popcorn every years. We used to go out for 4-5 hours a day for 3 weekends in a row and only make a couple hundred dollars. So we just gave up. Its not worth the abuse that people think is ok to throw at children.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Scout Popcorn question?

Postby Vaccin8tor on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:41 pm

My kids are new to Scouts this year- while they love it and the people involved are great, the Popcorn Sales can kiss my you-know-what. I do NOT feel comfortable selling POPCORN for the prices they want... it IS ridiculous. I get that this is the way they make their money for programs and camps - but perhaps they need to revisit it and to something more along the lines of the Guides - you get your stuff RIGHT AWAY, and the cheapest option isn't $10.

For this reason, we have 'bought' from each of our kids ourselves - I refuse to have them even try to sell to family and friends, let alone neighbours or complete strangers. I'd rather directly pay for MY kids to attend their Scouts activities than have perfect strangers get ripped off by subpar popcorn to help fund MY kids activities.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent