KIV Community

No words no lunch for a 3 year old

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

No words no lunch for a 3 year old

Postby Lan on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Hello,

My daughter(3 year 5 month) is attending a group daycare in Sidney. It is a reputable daycare until recently I found one/two young teacher denied her from having lunch because she did not use her words. Lunch is packed in thermos so she needs help opening it. When I went to picked her up, the teacher told me "She had a great day!". Until she got into car, she said "I want my lunch". Then she told me "No words, no lunch". I felt stomach ache when I was thinking about it. Poor little thing, when other kids are eating, she is starving. The next day, I told my husband to send her after lunch, but when he called their senior staff said he can not send kids just before the nap. My husband thought it might not happen because the senior staff is there, but I picked up and open her lunch bag, again, full, she did not even have a single drop of water!!! "You are a naughty kid, you are not going to be a polite kid". She also repeated what the teacher said.
I told the daycare administrator about this, she said it definitely does not fit into their philosophy. She is going to have a big stuff meeting. Do you think staff meeting would help? I think this kind of teacher should be fined.
By the way, we are keeping our daughter at home after that.

Lan
Lan
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: No words no lunch for a 3 year old

Postby wclmom on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:18 am

I am so sorry that this happened to you. This was upsetting to read. I would be furious. I think a staff meeting would help but I would be finding different care as I would have trust issues with this facility. I personally think that teacher should be fired. Good luck sorting it out.
wclmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Lan on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I have had same feelings as you did. The update on this incidence is: we talked to the director of the program and the young staff said she did offer her to eat lunch but my daughter was just not hungry. She also brought a witness (which is her friend). Now everything is mystery. By the way, the director is a very good person and so as some other staff.

As a mother, I knew something must have happened. Coming home with full lunch is first time happened since she started to attend the daycare one and half years ago. Also 3 year old won't be able to make "no words no lunch", "you are a naughty kid, you are not going to be a polite kid" these kind of sentence. Now I found another problem, a not so honest teacher. Fortunately, we will start a new preschool next week.

I learned a lot through this.
Lan
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 pm

Sorry first this is happening to your daughter second to your family .
Even if there are good staff I would not trust that good staff are looking after you daughter.
Trust your gut on this one I can't tell you what to do only what I would do .
Both my girls were in daycare and my youngest could be strong headed what your saying to me sounds heartbreaking
I'd look around for a new arrangement first chance I got .If the daycare
wants to penalties you for early dismissal I'd fight that too .
How safe is it to have a very small child go without food or water .
What message is your little one receiving if I misbehave I dont get food and I'm singled out .
She's 3what a horrible message it gives and if by chance the worker is lying is she lying about anything else? Hugs to both you and your darling daughter .
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Kelly.campbell on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 am

Ah, that sad! I think the management of the school should take some strong action against the teacher.
Kelly.campbell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting