KIV Community

Curious about home schooling? For kids and teens alike . . .

A place to ask questions and share information on anything relating to
educating our children (and ourselves!).

Moderators: Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Curious about home schooling? For kids and teens alike . . .

Postby WCM on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 am

Hello IP community. We are hosting our annual Home Learning Info Nights next month at Vic West Rec Center. These talks are free to parents who want to learn about their child's educational options outside of school. The first night is for parents of kids 12 and under, the second week is for those with kids approaching or in high school. If you've wondered how home learning can work for your family, please come chat with us about it!

Home School Info Night.
Thursday May 11th 6:30pm
Vic West Rec Centre

Are you curious about learning at home? Do you want to know what your options are outside of attending a brick and mortar school? This evening is for you. We’ll discuss all your options from registering to enrolling, and the many ways home learning can look in the day to day. This is a public event, open to all parents, grandparents and caregivers who are interested in learning more about home learning.

Home Schooling High School Info Night
Thursday May 18th 6:30pm
Vic West Rec

Do you have a child in the ‘high school years’? Tonight, we will outline their options for navigating the High School years as a home learner. Whether they want a Dogwood Diploma or not, or want to go to post-secondary or create their own path, this evening is all about what that path can look like.

See you there!

Caelen
Victoria Home Learner's Network
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Curious about home schooling? For kids and teens alike .

Postby DeniseFrankl on Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 am

Homeschooling?? Does it work? How would it be? I am really worried about the son, he is getting graduated this year from the high school and have no clue what he is going to do. Many of his friends already chose their majors, yet my boy has no plans to learn anything. He didn't go for any part-time jobs even when his friends asked him to come. He always seemed too interested in playing video games. How could I choose a course for him? How could I know his interest or passion is? Playing video games, might he will be interested in video games development? I wanted him to go for the ios training in Toronto, it is career training program in mobile application development. Might he will be interested in such courses.
Do you think that homeschooling will work for such boys? I have hope in him and I am sure that he will have a great future. I know he is bright even though he scores less. How would I help him to be successful in life?
DeniseFrankl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Kelly.campbell on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 am

DeniseFrankl wrote:Homeschooling?? Does it work? How would it be? I am really worried about the son, he is getting graduated this year from the high school and have no clue what he is going to do. Many of his friends already chose their majors, yet my boy has no plans to learn anything. He didn't go for any part-time jobs even when his friends asked him to come. He always seemed too interested in playing video games. How could I choose a course for him? How could I know his interest or passion is? Playing video games, might he will be interested in video games development? I wanted him to go for the ios training in Toronto, it is career training program in mobile application development. Might he will be interested in such courses.
Do you think that homeschooling will work for such boys? I have hope in him and I am sure that he will have a great future. I know he is bright even though he scores less. How would I help him to be successful in life?

Denise, It is good to see that how much you are concerned and focused on your kid's future. Well, if your kid likes to playing games and spent time on the internet then try to get some online kids focused course for him, which I believe he will like. Moreover, a good social circle is really important in one self-development, so to push him to go out and spend time with friends or make some new friends. May these tips would be helpful for you.

Cheers,
Kelly
Kelly.campbell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Jesse Plemons on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:53 pm

hi there - sorry about missing out on this, I found out about it a bit late (we were out camping for 2 weeks).

I just have a quick question - I have been interested in homeschooling, my sons are still in elementary, but going to high school soon. Most of the materials aren't out of my depth as of yet. However, as an art major, the biggest bane of my school year is math (and subsequently sciences).

Our family is planning to take a year off to travel, and I was planning to homeschool (or more like travel school, haha) during this time. I am planning to either use Khan Academy (Pro: massive, Con: US common core), or StudyPug's Grade 7 Math (Pro: BC curriculum, Con: Not as well known as Khan).

So the questions are this, I am wondering if there are any other options for homeschooling parents with the BC Math Curriculum?

thanks in advance for your help!
Jesse Plemons
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Education & Learning