KIV Community

Is My Child Ready For A Cell Phone

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Is My Child Ready For A Cell Phone

Postby Darren Laur on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:12 am

It been a while since I have last posted, as most are aware Beth, Brandon and I have been very busy travelling internationally spreading our message of Social Media Safety and Digital Literacy. To date we have now presented to over 340,000 Jr/Sr high school students and been involved in 145 interventions where students reached out to us for help because of self-harm and/or suicidal ideations.

No matter where we travel and present to parents the number one question I hear is, " What age do think is appropriate for my child to own their first phone" As a result of this question here is an article that I wrote that should help all parents with this decision and the things you can do to make your child safer while using their phone. Enjoy...........

https://www.thewhitehatter.ca/single-po ... or-A-Phone

Please copy and share with others !!!!!

Darren
The White Hatter
Darren Laur
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Is My Child Ready For A Cell Phone

Postby Darren Laur on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 am

For those who live in Greater Victoria, the Lower Island or Lower Mainland, we are happy to announce that we will be hosting our "Cybersecurity for the Home" presentation in our newly renovated digital learning studio here in Victoria. This session is designed to address immediate cybersecurity risks that families face while using any technology. We provide information on how to secure family members devices and home networks. This 1 hour program is designed specifically at a beginner’s level so that anyone can follow along and understand the content provided; we have limited seating so we expect that we will fill up quickly. This presentation is designed for mom, dad, grandparents or any other adult interested in ensuring they are taking appropriate steps to keep their online experience "safer" . For those who live outside greater Victoria what a great opportunity (or excuse) to travel to our awesome city to visit for the day, and then attend our one hour presentation later in the early evening. Bring your laptops, tablets and cellphones !!! Need a hotel, let us know we can recommend several close by. To register :

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cybersecuri ... 6233034983
Darren Laur
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent